About Me

My photo
Polymerase chain reaction is a cornerstone of molecular biology research. Using short pieces of single-stranded DNA called primers the previously invisible becomes tangible.

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Red Queen’s Race

When two consecutive hitters in a lineup hit homeruns, it is often referred to as “back to back.” When the third consecutive hitter hits a homerun an announcer might describe it as, “back to back to back.” John Sterling, NY Yankee announcer, seems to get the anatomical juxtaposition correct.


“It’s a back to back and a belly to belly.”

Of course, Sterling is so in love with his pet phrases that he uses that call whether two or three consecutive hitters have hit homeruns. So, he loses points on that. Why all this baseball gibberish, you may ask? Opening Day is today. That, and I got off my treadmill and ran in the real world.

Let me start by saying that a 2˚ incline on the treadmill does not compensate for the wind resistance one experiences when running outdoors. I’ll either have to increase the incline or increase the pace in order to more accurately mimic real running. I did 9 today, a slow somewhat struggling 9 at that. Without the persistent threat of being hurled backward onto my cat’s food dish, I found keeping a moderately quick pace very difficult. I couldn’t get into a rhythm and consequently had to stop at 9 miles into a 10 mile out-and-back path. One of the drawbacks to running outdoors is that the coldest rain seems reserved for when you have to cut a run short and walk the rest of the way home.

Speaking of television, the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica is a fine piece of science fiction. When a season finale makes reference to both Bob Dylan and Lewis Carroll you’ve got to take notice. Oh, we weren’t speaking about television?

I’m feeling a little loopy right now. Best, perhaps, I get to bed.

"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"

- Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass … Ch. 2, 46

No comments: